How does WELS work?
A WELS rating provides an average flow rate for a product when tested at various pressures. Similar to energy ratings on electrical appliances, this rating
is displayed with a number of stars. The more WELS stars it has, the more water-efficient the product.
The WELS label displays three key pieces of information:
- The star rating out of 6. All products except showers can achieve ratings up to 6 stars. Currently showers can only achieve a maximum of 3 stars. If a product fails any test or has a higher flow than the maximum rating, it can still be sold, but must carry a 0 (zero) star label.
- The rated water consumption:
- Litres per minute (for showers and taps)
- Litres per wash (for clothes washing machines and dishwashers)
- Litres per flush (for lavatories and urinals)
- The pressure application (only applies to showers and tapware in NZ) – mains pressure and/or low/unequal pressure. All Methven products suitable for all pressure installations carry 2 labels.